A Review of 2015
This has actually been a pretty good year.
Of course, there have been Highs and Lows.
- seeing the Unthanks opening the Pyramid Stage
- being beguiled by La Femme in the small Williams Green tent
- realising how magnificent the Moody Blues still are
- and having my Michael Eavis moment at their encore
- actually shedding tears when I realised that Burt Bacharach had written the soundtrack to my formative years
- witnessing Thea Gilmore trying and succeeding to compete with the pounding of Motorhead as she sang an old style folk song acapella.
- loving Future Islands on the Other Stage when I had hoped to see Lionel
- rocking out with Courtney Barnett, whom I have been privileged to see 4 times this 12 months
- Finally getting to see The Who
- renewing acquaintance with the lovely Meadowlark and pop punkettes the Tuts
- rekindling my activism with Billy Bragg
- witnessing the growth of Rae Morris
- Seeing Ian Anderson doing Jethro Tull, The Rock Opera
- being blown away by Jools Holland and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra
Two CDs stand out for me this year.
"Mount The Air" by The Unthanks
"Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit" by Courtney Barnett
Both very different, but both brilliant
On a personal level, there was much sadness with the passing in March my long-term feline friend Thomas.
This has been offset by
- meeting up after 40 years with school friend Tim Sollis who visited from Hong Kong with his wife and family.
- My old work colleague Ronnie Tan turned up in January.
- Big Brother Terry visiting for Christmas with his wife Linda for the first in six years
My Mum is still chugging on, despite the inadequacies of the care services.
James and girlfriend Tara have moved into their first house as co-mortgagees.
Both James and Chris have been promoted at work
Several Cubs have achieved the top award - The Cub Scout Silver Award.
We managed to win the District Cooking Competition and then came second at the County Final.
Membership numbers are on the up.
All of which bodes well for Cub Scout Centenary Year in 2016.
My beloved Arsenal did good.
The FA Cup Final was a one sided affair in May and Arsenal lifted the trophy.
As 2015 passes, the sit at the top of the Premier League (on goal difference)
Let's enjoy it and let's take care out there.